Palm Oil and Palm Kernel Oil
At Innospec, we use palm oil and palm kernel oil derivatives in a number of our products, for example within the Iselux®, Pureact, Empicol®, Empigen® and Empilan® ranges. We recognize that the rapid growth in demand for palm-based raw materials has led to an increase in the number and size of palm plantations, which has adverse environmental and social consequences. We have been a member of the RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) since 2013.
- RSPO Mass Balance Supply Chain Certificate
To achieve our commitment, all applicable Innospec manufacturing sites are RSPO mass balance (MB) supply chain certified and as such we are able to offer our customers RSPO MB versions of our products on request.
We continue to work with our suppliers to ensure that all the palm-based materials we procure will be from sustainable sources that comply with the NDPE commitments (No Deforestation, no Peat, no Exploitation) based on the following:
- A public policy of no deforestation
- Exclusion of the conversion or deforestation of areas of high conservation value or high carbon stock
- No fires or plantations on peat lands
- Utilization of responsible agronomic practice
- Reduction of the impact on the environment through targeted reductions of GHG emissions
- Resect and protection of the rights of workers and local communities as well as Free Prior and Informed Consent of ingenious communities, payment of a decent living wage and no forced, slave or child labor.
Our RSPO mass balance supply chain certificate is available below:
- Increased Transparency
In 2018, we began work to increase the transparency and understanding of our palm-based raw material supply chain. We engaged the support of an independent, third-party company to research and map the origins of palm-based materials in our supply chain. Using a methodology that is endorsed by a number of external stakeholders, rating agencies and coalitions, we analyzed our 2017 palm and palm kernel derivatives raw material volumes. Following the analysis, we achieved 99% transparency at refinery level and 95% at mill level connected to our palm derivatives supply chain.
Increasing the transparency of our supply chain helps us to highlight any differences and potential opportunities for improvement between our commitments and those of our suppliers. The program will help us to develop a roadmap towards deforestation-free and responsible sourcing of palm-based raw materials. In 2019, we are repeating the transparency exercise for our 2018 volumes targeting 100% transparency at the mill level by 2020.