Since we started monitoring our energy use and emissions against our 2006 baseline year, our energy and carbon reduction has been significant. In 2019, we delivered a range of activities and investments to further increase our energy efficiency and reduce our greenhouse gas emissions (GHG).
- 2019 Performance
In 2019, we reduced the energy intensity of production (GJ consumption per metric tonne of product) by 4% compared to 2018 and by 21% against our baseline year in 2006. This reduction in intensity is also reflected in our Scope 1 and 2 emissions per metric tonne of product that have reduced by 6% since 2018 and 34% since 2006. Alongside more efficient use of energy, we have also reduced our absolute emissions by 5% since 2018 and 26% since 2006.
- Case Studies
Energy Reduction Group
Our global Energy Reduction Group (ERG) was established in 2016 following recognition that the majority of obvious improvements had been achieved. The Group, led by Corporate Engineering, is responsible for the identification and evaluation of capital investment projects where the payback period is longer than would normally be required. A dedicated Energy Reduction Fund is allocated every year for such projects.
The fund targets projects that could help deliver our 2019 to 2020 objective of achieving a 2% (1,104 metric tonnes) reduction in our Scope 1 and 2 emissions, based on a 2015 baseline, by the end of 2020.
In 2019, the company invested in a number of projects that were forecasted to reduce annual energy consumption by over 2,961Mwh and reduce our total group Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 718 metric tonnes CO2 equivalent.
Energy reduction projects introduced in 2019 included:
- At our Midland, US, site, replacement of old fluorescent lighting with new LED fixtures, including 16 1000W flood lights, with a total estimated savings of 46 metric tonnes CO2eq per year.
- Castiglione, Italy, reduced energy consumption by increasing the efficiency of air compression at its Sulfuric Acid Plant, saving 40 metric tonnes CO2eq per annum.
- Condensate Handling improvements at our Salisbury, NC, US, site included the upgrade of pumps, traps, piping and insulation for eight bulk tanks saving 280 metric tonnes CO2eq per year.
- Insulation of steam valves at our site in Vernon, France, will help reduce point heat loss by 90% and the insulation of pipes will reduce loss by 85%, together saving over 36 metric tonnes CO2eq every year.
- St-Mihiel, France invested in roof improvements and better insulation to reduce heat loss and save 8 metric tonnes CO2eq per year annually.
In addition to the pipeline of energy reduction capital investment projects, the ERG also encourages and supports local initiatives. The ERG coordinates the sharing of information and learning from across the sites through regular communications and best practice meetings.